Need code in english.

Discuss here how to configure hoteldruid and better use its features.

Moderator: marco

dickysolo

Need code in english.

Post by dickysolo »

Hi all,
I am new to php-residence. I have just downloaded the latest version and installed successfully. But the thing is all the codes are written in some other language may be italian. Its hard to understand what a particular code does, as even the variable name are not in english. And to add the problem, the file names are still confusing. I tried downloading many older versions also.but still m getting the same. If anybody here let me know where to get the codes in english, i'd be grateful. Thanks in advance.
Roman

Re: Need code in english.

Post by Roman »

Hi dickysolo

We have discussed this issue before in the forum.

I believe that the potential of php-residence is big. However, as long as the code is witten in italian, me and many more I guess, will only observe the project and not contribute.

Php-Residence is open source software. As long as the code is in italian, I consider this project as “not open”.

The core programmer is Marco. Everybody agrees that he did a great job. He informed the list some time ago that he intends to translate the code of php-residence from italian into english. Therefore he informed us, that he’s going to write a script the ease the translation. Since then, I haven’t heard about it again.

There are people out there who are willing to assist in translating the code, including me and viknet. To fork php-residence costs too much time and energy. To translate a project of the size of php-residence is a big task. I spent a few days trying this, but I realized that it’s too big for one person.

The translation process needs a coordinator. I think, there’s only one person out there who can do this. We are waiting for Marco to get ready :-)

Kind regards,
Roman
dickysolo

Post by dickysolo »

Hi Roman,
Thanks for the information. I have been googling for an english version for many days (not knowing it''s only availabe in italian). Right now m using google translate. But its still a hard job. I heard from friends that PHP-residence is a nice stuff, so i just thought to learn it.
I hope marco will give the go ahead for the translation.
What ever its a great software (except for the source code part :wink: ).
Thanks again for the information.
gonesouth

Post by gonesouth »

Hi dickysolo,

Perhaps you could explain why you need an english translation? I'm sure you don't have source code on everything you use, do you?

Just curious?

Jim
dickysolo

Post by dickysolo »

Hello Jim,
M just a newbie in php-residence... the thing about Php-residence is everything is in Italian. The variable names, filenames, database table names, so i felt confused. Its hard to know what a particular variable do, what is stored in its tables, which data are stored in which tables etc etc.... So for this reason only I thought an english version will be helpfull. Even Google translate aint much effective. The field names in most of the tables are combination of two/three words. For example, there is one table called beniinventario..... There is no such word in italian (i hope) as google translate doesn't give any result. So i just sepereate it as beni inventario (as inventario sounds like inventory----wild guess). and i got the meaning as goods inventory. And there are lots such names which are combined, and being a non italian i cant keep on guessing the words.
And as Roman said (in above topic) Php-residence is not open source as long as it is only in italian. Os-commerce which is an open source is getting much more add-ons,plug-ins from many contributors. So the support is also vast. So i also agree with Roman that it is not open-source as long as it is only in Italian. There are lots of guys who cant understand the code.

Regards,
Roger
gonesouth

Post by gonesouth »

Hi Roger,

I understand why you want an English translation, but I can also understand why Marco wants to maintain control of the project. And the whole arguement that somehow future development must happen in English is one that thoroughly underwhelms me. And as for the difference between beniinventori and goods inventory, working in Canadian English, they're both Greek to me!

From my point of view, I'd much rather Marco spends the few hours he has to spend on this project on new features, like maybe a 'bad guest' blacklist feature, or........well, you get the picture

Unless, of course, you were offering to pay for Marco's time to do a translation......were you?

Regards

Jim
Roman

Post by Roman »

Hi Jim,

Just my two cents to some of your remarks:

Programmers like me need full access to the code. Hurdles like a language I'm not familiar with make my work difficult.

There is a big difference between a user and a developer. A user doesn't really care if the code is open source or not. He also doesn't care about the programming language.

If one wants to have control over a project, he'll definitely find the appropriate license agreement. Open source is definitely not the right license agreement to maintain control. Open source is about sharing code and also sharing control.

You want Marco to spend a few hours on new features? Why Marco? Why not dickysolo or any other programmer? Do you get my point? Open source is also about independence!

There are people out there including me who are willing to assist translation of php-residence. Marco is aware of it. I dont't think it's a money issue.

Kind regards,
Roman
gonesouth

Post by gonesouth »

Hi Roman,

I obviously have a different point of view on this than you do.
Roman wrote:Programmers like me need full access to the code. Hurdles like a language I'm not familiar with make my work difficult.

You want Marco to spend a few hours on new features? Why Marco? Why not dickysolo or any other programmer? Do you get my point? Open source is also about independence!

There are people out there including me who are willing to assist translation of php-residence. Marco is aware of it. I dont't think it's a money issue.

Kind regards,
Roman
I don't see a huge list of features waiting for implementation. I'm afraid what I see is a few programmers who can't wait to get their fingers into some new code they haven't seen yet...... and nobody who has offered any real reason they need to see the code. I understand the principles of open source development, but this concept that Marco needs to translate the program into English and document all the variables for you, well, I have some problems with that. In my view, those of you who want to help need to offer to do whatever Marco wants done and prove your value before asking such a large effort on his part.

Happy Easter,

Jim
dickysolo

Post by dickysolo »

gonesouth wrote:Hi Roger,

I understand why you want an English translation, but I can also understand why Marco wants to maintain control of the project. And the whole arguement that somehow future development must happen in English is one that thoroughly underwhelms me. And as for the difference between beniinventori and goods inventory, working in Canadian English, they're both Greek to me!

From my point of view, I'd much rather Marco spends the few hours he has to spend on this project on new features, like maybe a 'bad guest' blacklist feature, or........well, you get the picture

Unless, of course, you were offering to pay for Marco's time to do a translation......were you?

Regards

Jim
Hi Jim,
The point is not about paying someone. Its about having no hurdle in using the code. As I have said, if there is an english version, vast community support will be there. There are lots of people who will readily agree to help translate the code. But as Marco is the core person, it depends on him also.
don't see a huge list of features waiting for implementation. I'm afraid what I see is a few programmers who can't wait to get their fingers into some new code they haven't seen yet...... and nobody who has offered any real reason they need to see the code. I understand the principles of open source development, but this concept that Marco needs to translate the program into English and document all the variables for you, well, I have some problems with that. In my view, those of you who want to help need to offer to do whatever Marco wants done and prove your value before asking such a large effort on his part.
I dont think it is a good idea to entirely depend on Marco for everything.

Regards,
Roger
Roman

Post by Roman »

Hi Jim

Can't you see that php-residence has potential? How can this project move forward by depending on one person? How can we contribute to this project, if we don't understand the code? It's not only Marcos job to translate the code, it's a communities job!

Jim, please also read the following : http://www.digitaldruid.net/php-residen ... ?f=1&t=590

Kind regards,
Roman
gonesouth

Post by gonesouth »

Hi Roman and Roger,

Yes, I see the potential. I also see two programmers who drop by after Marco has five years of development and, with no time invested of their own, feel that Marco needs to drop everything to hold their hands in the name of future potential and wide open development. Sorry, guys, but as a user, before you get away with the hijack, I have to ask, what have YOU done for me lately?

Do you guys even have any property experience, any programming experience, anything to bring to the table?

Regards

Jim
dickysolo

Post by dickysolo »

gonesouth wrote:Hi Roman and Roger,

Yes, I see the potential. I also see two programmers who drop by after Marco has five years of development and, with no time invested of their own, feel that Marco needs to drop everything to hold their hands in the name of future potential and wide open development. Sorry, guys, but as a user, before you get away with the hijack, I have to ask, what have YOU done for me lately?

Do you guys even have any property experience, any programming experience, anything to bring to the table?

Regards

Jim
Hi Jim,
Just one question. Have you ever tried Joomla,Drupal,OS-commerce etc....? I have tried and i have even contributed addons to some. But i dont see that Joomla, OS-commerce being hijacked by me or by any one who contrbuted to the package. Instead the support from many users makes them very popular. Even if the translation of php-residence is done, the ownership/creator of php-residence is still Marco. What we need was a code which we can understand. Which we too can help in developing. We are not asking for a name space. If making change or contributing a code is termed as hijacking (in your opinion), then there is no need to give it a GNU-GPL. I still agree with Roman "its not Open source as long as it is in italian only".
Dear Jim, dont take this personal but plz visit some other community support forum and see the difference. The point is about community support, not about hijacking something from Marco's hard work. He'll still be the owner.

Regards,
Roger
marco

Post by marco »

Hello,
first of all let me remark that php-residence IS open source, so please don't make false statements on this forum. Furthermore if your assumptions were true then all open source code should be written in Chinese or Spanish, as they are more widely spoken than English.

Everybody can decide what they do with their time (unless they get paid for it as Jim says..), and translating all the code would be a huge amount of time. Between writing the "code translation script", doing the actual translation and testing everything I think that at least 3 months of almost full work would go away, but probably even more. And all this to get no new feature and many new bugs. But maybe in the future, when I have no compelling new features to add and I see there is a community willing to contribute, I will be willing to do it, for now I don't see neither of these.

As for there not being people willing to contribute I may be wrong, but until now I haven't seen any proofs of the contrary. The themes code has been in English for 4 years, and no single new theme has been contributed. I have asked in the other thread if somebody wanted to work on the "code translation script" but received no answers.

I don't think there is somebody here that wants to hijack the project, probably only people that want to make their little customizations. Many of these customizations will be useful only to the ones making them, if not harmful for others. The high customization is the reason I think there are no big open source projects in the area of bussiness management software. But even if these customizations are useful, and get contributed, they will probably need further work (often the bigger work to add a new feature is adding user privileges, options in "configure and customize", etc.). Another problem with these customizations is that if a bug is found on the modified version and the developer, or his client, comes here reporting it, I'll have to spend maybe an evening only to discover that it had nothing to do with php-residence.

Regards,
Marco
Problems installing, configuring, upgrading?
Try the easiest way to use HotelDruid:
https://www.digitaldruid.net/hosted/index.php
Roman

Post by Roman »

Hi Marco

Good to have you back! Where have you been?

I’m sure there are people out there who are willing to assist in this big translation task. I’m ready and I can imagine that “dickysolo” and “viknet” can also contribute. However I can’t talk on their behalf.

It’s important that you fully support the translation of php-residence. It will be difficult or even impossible to do it without you. The translation process needs a coordinator and I think that you are the only person who can do this!

A few months back you wrote on this forum, that you want to write a php script to translate the code. This script is a good starting point. How far have you come?

Kind regards,
Roman
viknet

Post by viknet »

hey, is that my name written on the previous message ???

I guess so, so I have to answer and I have to second what roman say,
1 - I can help doing some translation
2 - Waiting for your orders my lord(s) :=)

best regards

Vincent

P.S. one of the things roman could do with the help of a script could be to change the reference language of all the sentence from italian to english, this would help a lot also.... :=)