Upgrade question

Discuss here how to configure hoteldruid and better use its features.

Moderator: marco

gonesouth

Upgrade question

Post by gonesouth »

Hi Marco,

In the readme for the newest version, you state that the user should copy the files into the directory. Do you mean to say start the installation by going to inizio.php, or should that be done in another directory and then the files copied to the final directory?

Thanks

Jim
gonesouth

Post by gonesouth »

Continuing further, I tried the install sequence and got some problems after trying to log in:

Warning: include(./includes/funzioni_.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/tatamag/public_html/testbooking/includes/funzioni.php on line 353

Warning: include(./includes/funzioni_.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/tatamag/public_html/testbooking/includes/funzioni.php on line 353

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening './includes/funzioni_.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/tatamag/public_html/testbooking/includes/funzioni.php on line 353

Fatal error: Call to undefined function connetti_db() in /home/tatamag/public_html/testbooking/includes/funzioni.php on line 354

I've tried to reset the permissions on the whole directory and the subdirectory includes to 777 but it has had no impact, so I reset the file permissions on all the files in includes to 777

Any ideas?
marco

Re: Upgrade question

Post by marco »

Hello Jim,
from the README:
Leave in the folder where php-residence is installed only the
folder dati (with write permission for the web server) deleting
all the rest. After that, copy the files of the new version
(except the folder dati naturally)
It seems you didn't copy the directory includes from the new version files.

Marco
Problems installing, configuring, upgrading?
Try the easiest way to use HotelDruid:
https://www.digitaldruid.net/hosted/index.php
gonesouth

Post by gonesouth »

Hi Marco,

I got sidetracked and finally decided to restart on upgrading yesterday. I had some backup issues that I figured out were caused by a new php version my host has set up which only allow 755 parmissions as the max, 777 is reserved for suexec. I'm not sure why, but I mention it in case others have the same issue. At any rate, after many snarls and much gnashing of teeth I think I have discovered that my previous problems were caused by my renaming my php-residence_1.0.1 and php-residence folders to a and b respectively to shorten the URL (previous thread) This time, I downloaded a new tar.gz file from www.digitaldruid.net, created a new subdomain on my server, uploaded the tar.gz file to the folder and opened it directly on the server. Then I backed up my old installation using the backup utility and saved it, then copied the dati folder to the new installation.

When I opened the inizio.php command, it went to a page asking me to create a new database rather than the old UPPGRADE? button I had received in February. Further along, I tried to restore the backup, but it tells me it is from the wrong version.

So, I thought I should check in for a review of what I'm doing. I'm trying to create a dual installation, in case I wreck on the upgrade, which seems highly likely!

So, was my mistake failing to move/copy the dati flder before unzipping the upgrade download? Won't the unzipping process copy over the dati folder with the new version? So, am I right in saying I should unzip, then copy over the old dati, then run inizio? If so, do I then need to use the backup/restore to get my data over, or does the data get transformed during the upgrade button process?

Thanks

Jim
marco

Post by marco »

Hello Jim,
backups can be restored only in the same version from where they were created. Summarizing what is explained better in the README you should:

-unzip the new version
-delete the dati folder in the new version
-copy the dati folder from the old version (and all files in it) to the new version
-upload the new version and access it with the browser
-click the "upgrade button" that will appear and wait until the page completes to load

Marco
gonesouth

Post by gonesouth »

Hi Marco,

Thanks for working with me on this.

I followed what you said, then went in via FT
P and reset all permissions in the total directory to 755.

Then went to start page and got the upgrade button. It failed:

Warning: fopen(./dati/update.lock) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/tatamag/public_html/book/php-residence_1.2.0/php-residence/includes/funzioni_aggiorna.php on line 114

Line 114 appears to be:

$file_lock_update = fopen("./dati/update.lock","w");

which seems to match the warning message, but since I can't find any update.lock file in the dati directory I'm now officially lost...... Any ideas?

I decided to be brave and reloaded the start page, and after logging in, it gives me the update button again, which fails in the same spot.....

Help!!!
gonesouth

Post by gonesouth »

I may be beginning to understand my problem. I am trying to make a duplicate setup, only running in the newer version in order to see how it would look and see if I need to make changes for the new version................
I have followed the upgrade instructions, except for having the new installation in a new directory. Could the problem be that the program is not able to access my mysql database, since the upgrade does not provide a way to connect to a new database? And the old one is not in the same relative position, maybe?
So, can anyone tell me, will an upgrade in a new directory, but using a copy of the old dati directory, connect properly with the existing database, or does it need alteration to get it to connect, or a new database and direction to the new database?

Thank you.

Jim
marco

Post by marco »

Hello Jim,
does the file ./dati/update.lock exist? If so does it also have write permissions for all? (not only the dati folder must have 755 or 777 permissions, but also all the files inside must have at least 666).

Regards,
Marco
gonesouth

Post by gonesouth »

Hi Marco,

No the file does not exist. But after struggling some this week, I figured out that what was happening is that copying the dati directory brought in the old data via the update button, but it also poisoned the well, so to speak, by pointing the program to the existing database, (in a huge number of files, all of which I didn't find) As a result, I could run two copies of the program, (switching by renaming directories), each running on a different database when one logs in and uses the interface, but the customer interface only runs to the 'old' database. So, a customer makes a reservation and it only appears in the old one, even when the pointers in the templates would seem to point to the new copy.

Part of the problem may be that it would not let me update the templates from the new version which may be a permission problem, I'm not sure. At any rate I think it will update with no problems, so I am considering whether or not to update my live install. I may wait for a more significant upgrade.