Buying Hosting but keeping database on own server?

Post here questions about hoteldruid hosting on DigitalDruid.Net and add-on modules.

Moderator: marco

nethead

Buying Hosting but keeping database on own server?

Post by nethead »

Hello,

i am considering subscribing to the hosted version but i would like to keep the database on my internet-server. So basicly the hosted version would be configured to use a (mysql) database on a remote server.

Further i only want to use the hosting for accessing the modules only available via hosting.

Would this be possible?

cheers,

Arnd
marco

Re: Buying Hosting but keeping database on own server?

Post by marco »

Hello Arnd,
you can't connect to an external database but you can replicate the database on your computer like described in a tutorial on this site (documentation section). Or if you have a spare computer you can more easily install ubuntu and use the package provided in the "download" section to replicate hoteldruid and have a daily update.

Using hoteldruid only for the modules and insert reservations on your local computer wouldn't make much sense, as both module need to access "live" availability.

Regards,
Marco
Problems installing, configuring, upgrading?
Try the easiest way to use HotelDruid:
https://www.digitaldruid.net/hosted/index.php
nethead

Post by nethead »

Hi,

i dont see any technical reason why not to be able to configure an external, not local mysql database?
Also i cant imagine why you dont want to do it?

You really make it hard doing business with you.....

cheers,

Arnd
marco

Post by marco »

Hello Arnd,
here are some technical reasons:

-Security: hoteldruid considers data from its database to be safe, this could lead to execute unwanted code on my server.

-Maintenance: I don't want to debug bugs introduced by others.

-Responsibility: I sign agreements with external providers (like booking.com and expedia), having the connection not working properly could make them revoke the agreement.

I don't know any commercial cloud software that offers support and lets you have the database on your computer. I don't even know any that lets you have an open source exact copy on your computer, like hoteldruid does.

Regards,
Marco
nethead

Post by nethead »

Hi :)

one reason i am using Hoteldruid is that i dont want to use any "cloud based" services. I run two blade servers (redundant) in a colocation and i need direct access to the Hoteldruid SQL database to run custom accounting scripts.

I would like to buy the booking engine and run the channel manager on your servers but using my maria SQL database instance. We can secure this connection in any way you like.

But i guess this is still not possible?!

cheers,

Arnd
marco

Post by marco »

Hello Arnd,
the connection can be as secure as you want but that doesn't matter if the source isn't secure, so all points in my previous post still apply. As said you still have the option to periodically (before your scripts run?) replicate the database on your servers and make any operations on it. Also if you don't like the service anymore you can leave it anytime and continue using hoteldruid on your servers.

For the booking engine you also have the option to purchase the compiled module and use it on your server, this is not possible for the channel manager module (see reasons in previous reply).

Regards,
Marco